[linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Jan 13 17:47:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:09:56 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote
> Hallo,
> Dave Griffiths hat gesagt: // Dave Griffiths wrote:
>
> > I've been considering writing a modular gui in tk - PD style (but hopefully a
> > bit prettier ;P )
>
> Pd will probably not stay with tk, and some of its ugliness is rooted
> in cross-platform thoughts (like using the Courier font everywhere).

I actually quite like the PD interface, especially after a bit of work, like
your pattern seqencer.

> Regarding a common modular patch editor: although softsynths are
> relatives, there are various important differences between them. For
> example, the Max family is very dependent on character input: You
> create objects by creating a generic object and then giving it a
> name. Afterwards the objects stay just that: a word, and it can be treated
> like that (search/replace for example).
>
> This is very much different from traditional modular synths that
> follow a hardware emulation approach, like AlsaModularSynth or
> Reaktor.

With traditional modulars there is also the thorny issue of whether you put
the module's controls in the gui box, or in their own window.

One thing I'd really really want is a patch layout tool for complex graphs
like maya's (whcih uses this: http://www.tomsawyer.com/gallery/gallery.html)
There are a few GPL equivelents, but nothing that can do this AFAIK.

cheers,

dave