[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Consortium-p] Re: linuxaudio.org

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Tue Jan 13 23:09:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 12:09, andrea.glorioso at agnula.org wrote:
> Daniel James <daniel at linuxaudio.org> writes:
>
> >> Is there any chance you'd postpone it and announce the project and
> >> the beta site on lad for further discussing before launching it?
> >
> > No. As I've already explained, my view is that membership of a
> > particular mailing list does not confer veto rights over any project
> > that happens to have the words Linux and Audio in its name.
>
> [snipping a lot of stuff]
>
> I honestly  can't understand what the fuss  is all about.   If someone
> wants to contribute, well, just  contribute.
>
> If we failed to contact  every possible linux audio developer  around,
> just drop a note that *you* are going to contact  him and put the list
> in Cc:.

done.

> If you feel  the rules are  not  the most equitable possible,  suggest
> (practical) modifications.
>
> If you feel that  a more "community-oriented" approach  (whatever that
> means)  is  due, I'm   sure we can     officially create a  "community
> relationship" position inside the Consortium.

?

"The consortium aims to co-ordinate joint projects between members,
collaborate on the promotion of Linux based systems for audio tasks, and
provide a single point of contact for both prospective Linux users and
industry partners."

IIUC it should serve and protect the community and its members. Isn't
LAD such single point of contact? Who are you trying to help?

> If you  feel that <FILL IN THE  BLANKS>, well, you're  welcome to give
> your help.
>
> Oh,  and a small hint: there  is people in   here who have bben around
> from *before* 1999, so - even  assuming that "being around" and "doing
> the right thing" have a cause-effect relationship - nobody is going to
> be impressed by a somewhat "veteran" attitude.

All i wanted to say is, i see LAD and LAU as the *only* place for linux
audio community(not because i say so but because it *evolved* in such
place) and the community as the authority.

> I hope we can stop this  childish attitude and  actually get some work
> done (this is usually the moment when people start to disappear).

So keeping such projects confidential until "ready", and not accepting a
community place although it's been here from 1997 or so isn't childish?

Marek