[linux-audio-dev] Re: Project: modular synth editor

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 14 10:25:43 UTC 2004

> At 05:53 AM 14/01/2004, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> >I think another great application for such a thing would be a JACK patch
> >bay.  It would be so much easier to use something like this to connect
> >apps (and internal ardour connections) than it is at the moment.  I always
> >wanted to write such a thing myself but never really had the time.

Me too. I am still playing around with ideas, but I never find the time to
really implement them.
I am thinking there should be different representation of the graph, that you
can switch between.
Two ideas I have been thinking of:

1) A matrix like connection view, rows are output-ports, collums are
input-ports
Very useful when you look at it port-centrically. You see all the connections
of a single port at once.

2)Some kind of graph layout algorithm. More like pd, but maybe the connections
on the side.
Useful for looking at the signal path through multiple modules/jack-clients.
There are some OS libraries/apps and a lot of literature for this. But I think
most of it is too heavy for a patchbay. A complicated jack-graph is _very_
simple for program meant for 1000+vertex graph layout.

Luke Yelavich wrote:
> There already is. Check out http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net.

That is not what is being discussed though. The patch-representation model of
qjackctl is pretty much useless (unreadable) for anything beyond connecting
an application to the pcm.
Although it _is_ a great app, it is a bad patchbay gui.

I regularly use a session with:
10 channel pcm,
8 channels fluidsynth
2 channels hydrogen drum machine
16 channels ardour
2 channels rosegarden (only used for sequencing, but it still connects it
self)
When I finished routing, I see a blur between input and output ports in
qjackctl.

Gerard

--
electronic & acoustic musics-- http://www.xs4all.nl/~gml