[linux-audio-dev] License for sounds

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed Jan 14 12:45:03 UTC 2004

Hi David!

1) Usually the demo sounds included with synthesizers are considered
absolute freeware. Their purpose is to demonstrate that this synthesizer
can do any sound just as well, or even better than the competition.
Their purpose is to convince the prospective buyer that the light at the
end of the tunnel is not (entirely) electric, and they should hand over
their hard earned cash right away.

2) With a few tweeks, an otherwise very serious string quartet can be
turned into something extremely silly, which you would probably not like
to have coauthored.

3) Although commercial tunes are played 24/7 on radio stations, you will
not be able to recognize your own sounds, except in the case when they
are used unaltered with no postprocessing (which makes the discussion of
"derived work" moot.) That is to say: If it is not controlable, don't
bother making any rules.

cheers // Jens M Andreasen