[linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org

Fred Gleason fredg at salemradiolabs.com
Wed Jan 14 15:27:34 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 09:54, Daniel James wrote:

> You're quite right. I'm not sure how the significance of a particular
> project can be factored in to the amount of influence in management
> decisions - or if it should be. The same would go for large and small
> companies.

It's a conundrum, no question about it.  The point though, is that some sort
of precise *identity* needs to attach to members.  At the end of the day,
that likely means membership will need to be limited to either individuals or
corporations (a legal "person").  I think "project" is too vague and
amorphous a term.

> I agree - but it should be sufficient to talk to a few people, put a
> simple website together, write one press release, and make an
> announcement. Already I'm being criticised for spending too long on
> preparation!

Advocacy can be a thankless task.  By all means, put the website up, talk to
people, send press releases if you wish.  It's a necessary starting point.
But I'd strongly recommend holding off the *legal* establishment of any
entity until a broader consensus exists.  I suspect that a lot of the
suspicion which has been expressed in this thread was engendered by the
appearance that much of the prior discussion to this point took place via
private communications.  There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but there
does come a time when those discussions need to "go public".  Such public
discussion needs to happen well before any "official" establishment of an
organization.

Part of the confusion, too, comes from some vagueness in your terms.  What
exactly do you mean when you say you're "launching" Linuxaudio.org today?
Are you putting a website up?  Instituting some sort of legal entity?  What
exactly is the legal organizational structure of the proposed organization?
Lots of unanswered questions here...

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|               A man is known by the company he organizes.               |
|                                          -- Ambrose Bierce              |