[linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Thu Jan 15 08:04:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 02:31, Bob Ham wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 01:35, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > My two cents on the corporate deal:
>
> > We already have two big proprietary OSes
>
> > Why turn Linux into yet another one?
>
>   corporate != proprietary
>
> Bob

I realise this, I was being concise for effect really.  (My apologies, I
should have been more clear.  But then again dealing with the big audio
software manufacturers basically does = proprietary.

Think they'll make Reason (or whatever) open source if they were to port
it to Linux?  Hah.  Would any of those big corporate entities open up
their file formats as a gesture of good faith?  I severely doubt it.

Hardware manufacturers are a different story.  We should push with all
we've got to get their (open) cooperation.

I didn't at all mean linux audio should have nothing to do with anything
that is a "corporation".  By all means, if they support free software
obviously their presence is welcome.  Blind anti-corporatism is silly.

My point was bending over for big companies "just because", in the name
of Linux Audio World Domination (or whatever), is a Bad Idea(TM).

Let's face it, the open source thing is the only thing we've got.
Without it there's no reason for Linux to exist really - go use Solaris.

-Dave