[linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 15 16:17:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:58:26PM +0100, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:35:05PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > the difference is that it makes the plugin
> > logic, for 95% of plugins, much simpler.
>
> I fail to see that. Only plugins that specifically requested NULL pointers
> by setting the hint bit have to test for them. The 95% others, including all
> existing ones, can just ignore the whole issue, they will always get valid
> pointers.

Yes, OK, maybe its not a significant as I think, I still think it is
still more complex - you introduce a new hint, and the plugin can no
longer assume that all buffer pinters are valid - though it has to
be aware that it might not be.

So I think this would be an acceptable solution for LADSPA, and it
would involve fewer changes to existing hosts than adding refernce
buffers.

- Steve