[linux-audio-dev] [OT?] Fun with numbers

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Fri Jan 16 06:40:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 15:46, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>     I thought about posting a response to the linuxaudio.org controversy
> but I've opted for posting some numbers instead.
>
>     It was pointed out that LAD can claim more than 700 members now.
> Very cool, I love it. I'm not sure exactly what those numbers mean, but
> I do know that only about 1/10 of that figure actually post regularly to
> the list. So out of the 700 only ~70 are consistent contributors.

But is it a reason to keep discussions private, to create a private
mailinglist for that reason? Did anybody ask the developers of
linuxsampler and lilypond to join p-consortium? Those people are
definitely active contributors to the list. But the point is, all those
people could be asked through lad.

>     On January 7 Linux Journal On-line posted my second monthly column
> (this one about Planet CCRMA and AGNULA). I checked for the number of
> reads this morning: +10000. That's right, more than ten thousand in
> little over one week. I point this out not to shine my own light, but to
> indicate again that far more people are interested in Linux audio
> development than the mail lists' membership numbers suggest.

As Alfons already pointed out, those are people interested in linux
audio. They might not even be users. I guess you would get even more if
you posted it on slashdot.

>     (Actually I have a lot of thoughts on all this stuff, but I'm really
> just too busy here for further comment.)

Regarding [OT?] - agreed, it's OT on lad, i propose to rename the
p-consortium mailing list as Linux Audio Advocacy Mailing list (another
laa? or laad? :) and make it public.

Marek