[linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Fri Jan 16 09:21:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:53:18PM -0800, Iain Duncan wrote:

> I think the way to make an inter app modular really useful and new would be
> to use Jack for *ALL* signal passing including control signals as CV
> emulations by passing a DC signal through Jack ( as say an equivalent of a
> Csound krate signal or a hardware modular control volt signal.) If the
> modular was some sort of framework for interconnecting apps and plugins
> controlled by midi and Jack DC signals, one could actually accomplish the
> kind of flexibility possible with hardware modulars and still be able to
> incorporate other work.

It should be possible to do this with AMS 1.7.x, but I never tried.
There's a limit to the number of JACK ports (32 IIRC), but this is
compile time defined and can be increased.
But nothing is gained by doing all routing through JACK, and for
polyphonic patches this could become a nightmare (currently they are
mixed down at the JACK port).

In a similar way, AMS 1.7.x supports multichannel ALSA devices, and if
these are DC coupled you could use them to send / receive control voltages.

--
FA