[linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Fri Jan 16 19:25:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 12:32, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:

> > Once you start doing anything remotely complicated, LADCCA just becomes
> > necessary.  With this track I've been fiddling with lately it literally
> > takes 5-10 minutes just to get the environment properly set up.
> > Obviously this is a pretty big problem.  It's getting better though.
>
> I'll keep that in mind. One remark though: I will be happy to support any
> session management system as long as it is general and uses only standard
> interfaces. If it requires a particular window manager, desktop or toolset
> for example, it will not be supported.

To trumpet LADCCA some more :)  It's been implemented from the ground up
to be totally UI-independant.  Any user interface to the server operates
over TCP sockets.  At the moment, there is one readline based interface,
and a GTK based interface is in the pipeline:

  http://rose.homeunix.net/~rah/lcc-prototype-2.jpeg

Also worth noting is that many interfaces can be used at the same time,
which along with network transparency will undoubtedly come in handy
when things like firewire, rtsp and perhaps magic come into the fore.
In fact, it's always been in the back of my mind that LADCCA should be
able to manage audio setups not just on a single machine, but many.
Network-wide patching is a distant goal.  This was the main reason for
using libuuid for client ids.

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

"Discussion without action is just a pressure wave in air."
  -- Daniel James