[linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Mon Jan 19 00:05:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 19:02, Iain Duncan wrote:
> > Like I mentioned earlier, having jack used for every connection in, say,
> > a modular synth, would make your jack patching too complicated to be
> > useful.  This most definatley would not be easier to use.
> >
> > Plugins in an app and connecting different apps is just different,
> > period.  I can't think of any reason to pretend otherwise - it certainly
> > doesn't make things easier from a user perspective.
>
> >From a programming perspective I'm sure you're right. But the truth is that
> a modular is *exactly* like having Jack do every connection, that's what a
> modular synth is! They aren't easy to patch or easy to use!
>
> Iain

You seem to be really attached to this idea.. I guess what I don't
understand is.. why?  What, exactly, is the point/benefit?

- It adds /no/ flexibility
  (Doesn't make anything possibly that isn't already)

- It adds a /lot/ of complexity
  (Your jack patch bay will basically become useless)

Examples to the contrary are welcome, but I really just don't understand
why you want this.

-Dave