[linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Mon Jan 19 00:40:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 19:30, Iain Duncan wrote:
> > You seem to be really attached to this idea.. I guess what I don't
> > understand is.. why?  What, exactly, is the point/benefit?
>
> It's really not that I think anyone should follow my suggestions, I'm not an
> experienced enough programmer. The reason I piped up again was because I
> think it is very easy for computer programmers emulating a modular to lose
> track of what a modular actually is/does. So if that is the stated goal,
> keeping an eye on the definition is important.
>
> So all I'm saying is keep in mind these points about a hardware modular if
> you really want to make a software one:
>
> One standard type of connection ( a jack ) can be used between modules of
> different manufacturers for all of:
> - instantaneous audio feedback ( well speed of light anyway! )
> - any audio signal can be used as a control signal and vice versa
> - any signal can be used to cross modulate or mix with any other signal
> - a signal can be used for as long as wanted in a control chain without
> worrying about resolution loss ( sure it may get distorted, but the
> distortion is also happening at the speed of light. )

That's great.  You've totally missed my point though.  Yep, modulars are
general.  The great thing about them is you can do anything, and connect
anything in any way you want.

Alsa and Jack are great (right now).  The great thing about them is you
can do anything, and connect anything in any way you want.

What you're asking for _has no benefit_!  Only downsides.

By all means, if you can come up with some reason why it would be cool
or useful, I'll admit defeat, but (no offense) ramblings about what a
modular synth is don't really mean anything :)

-Dave