[linux-audio-dev] Re: Project: modular synth editor

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Mon Jan 19 10:42:50 UTC 2004

>From: Dave Robillard <drobilla at connect.carleton.ca>
>
>I don't really understand what this software would actually do.  Seems
>like such an overly-broad generic idea.. audio, graphics, modular
>synths, software, hardware, editor ??

Yes, it is generic idea because visual programming (icons + wires)
is used everywhere. I planned that our editor would support specially
audio related applications: Nord Modular type, Reaktor type, and
simpler type editors. Graphics related editor for, e.g., Cinepaint
would be much simpler than Nord Modular type editor.

The editor would only give the graphical graph/dataflow editor:
icons + wires, subgraphs, export/import. People still would have to
write software to give meaning to the graph/dataflow.

I find it very difficult to code the graphical editors and other GUIs.
Mostly I write C code without GUI. Now if there already would be
a generic editor available, I would take one and write suitable
callbacks, and have the GUI in a few hours.

Glade, a GUI builder, can help but it fails badly for what really
would be usable. They should go a far beyond the widget level.

Note, we do have such graph editors (in PD, in Quasimodo, etc.) but the
problem is that they are limited to some particular concept. I want
use all concepts in the same editor.

Regards,
Juhana