[Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] New name for ladcca?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Jan 20 03:36:02 UTC 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 22.53, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 14:57, Bob Ham wrote:
> > I'm not sure I like gaffer, purely from an API prefix perspective
> > :) LASH and LACE I like, and I'm torn between the two; LACE is
> > the quickest to type, but LASH is much cooler.
>
> LACE is quicker to type than LASH?
>
> Alternating hands is quicker than using one hand for multiple
> keystrokes.
>
> LACE: Right, Left, Left, Left
> LASH: Right, Left, Left, Right

That's why Dvorak has all the vowels on the left half of the keyboard;

LACE: R L R L
LASH: R L R R

LASH has all letters but the L on the home row, and the SH is just a
right hard "roll" movement, so it's still easy to type.

> LACE actually makes you use the same finger twice if you're
> properly touch typing, which is the slowest situation of all.

Exactly. Painful. And that very rarely happens with Dvorak, at least
not with english or swedish words.

It is a royal PITA to type on a Dvorak layout with one hand,
though...! *hehe* Though there is one-hand Dvorak of course, and the
usual "mirror" hack.

> ... Wow, I need something to do. :)

I have lots of things to do, but that doesn't seem to help...