[linux-audio-dev] Re: Lionstracs.

Doug Wellington ddw at dakotacom.net
Tue Jan 20 14:44:30 UTC 2004

Previously:
>That might seem expensive compared to the cost of the hardware, but
>it's a complete system. Whether this is good value depends on how
>much you value your time, because you could spend a couple of years
>developing your own. Custom Pro Tools rigs can cost up to US$100,000.

I appreciate that it's trying to be a complete system, that's why I
was interested in it!  :-)  So, are you saying this thing can compete
with a $100,000 Alsihad rig?  [Cleans coffee off of screen.]  Let's
get real here...!  :-(  You try to pitch it to a professional studio
that way and you'll get laughed right out of town!

<brag>
OK, some context?  I'm one of the organizers of Different Skies, an
ambient and space music festival which involves both audio and video.
Last September, we had 14 musicians and one artist dedicated to just
video.  I'm an ambient/space musician and video artist.  I'm also a
developer.  (CoreAudio and ALSA drivers, VST, AU and LADSPA plugins,
mod_perl and mySQL, etc.)  I'm a unix and vms system administrator
for a living, which is what lets me afford my toys...
</brag>

I actually HAVE developed my own rig.

I don't care how good the X-76 is, there will still be a lot of
customization required for each artist, especially with the current
state of Linux audio and video.  Not saying it won't happen, but
it isn't ready for prime time yet, especially not at this price
point...

Reminds me of that old saying, "Linux is only free if your time
isn't worth anything"...

Sincerely,
-Doug