[linux-audio-dev] [RFC] Lite OSC API

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jan 26 09:57:59 UTC 2004

Hallo,

Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:
> A service discover service is just something that listens out for
> registration requests (on a known port) and you say what (public) methods
> you support. The service discover service will then poll you to make sure
> youre still alive every now and then and you can say when you add or
> remove methods.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with methods, but I assume you
mean the "selectors" (don't know what they are called actually) like
"/foo/tils/org": This youle be a method "/foo/tils/org" supported by
an application.

I think, that method discovery is hard to get right in a modular
environment, namely in Pd. I started to use OSC extensivly in the
RRADical project to create a network transparent communication path
between patches. I leave it up to the users of my patches to specify
the selector they want to use. Example: I have a generic drum machine
patch. The user wants to use one instance as bass drum, another one as
hihat. He then can specify e.g. "/snare/note/" and "/bass/note/" to be
selectors for the notes to play with each respective patch.

Now how should a discovery service discover this?

Or am I missing the point.

ciao