[linux-audio-dev] Re: Project: modular synth editor

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Mon Jan 26 16:20:05 UTC 2004

>From: torbenh at gmx.de

[ gnomecanvas ]
>the only problem would be determining widget size when you add a widget
>to the canvas. gtk behaves sort of strange there.

  [ Posted this to gtk-app-devel-list as well. Reply to where you wish
    as I will summary. ]

Should the module widgets be put to a fixed size container before
they are inserted to the canvas? Or what is the problem?

I tested with Glade: created a top window with one "Fixed Position"
container widget, added viewport to the "Fixed Position", inserted
vbox to viewport, inserted horizontal scales to each slot of the vbox.
Then I took the properties of the viewport and changed viewport's
position and size. Only problem appeared when the viewport size
was made smaller than the minimum size of all scales. Viewport could
be made very small in which case the scales were clipped agains the
viewport.

Is there any way to determine when the viewport becomes smaller than
the vbox holding the scales? (Or the vbox larger than the viewport.)
Does the viewport generate any signals in these cases?

Is the viewport a wrong widget for the task? Is there any other constant
size container in GTK?

Regards,
Juhana