[linux-audio-dev] Linux is free

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Mon Jan 26 16:20:12 UTC 2004

>From: "Doug Wellington" <ddw at dakotacom.net>
>
>Previously:
>>> Reminds me of that old saying, "Linux is only free if your time
>>> isn't worth anything"...
>>
>> True, sort of, but you have to remember that "there's no such thing
>> as a free lunch."
>
>TANSTAAFL - exactly!  There's always a price.  Either you do it
>yourself, or you have someone else do it.  Time vs. money...

Or, either you do it in N months or someone else do it in a week.

The sentence "you have someone else do it" does not sound very
realistic: 8 years ago I suggested first time a simple rectangular
re-adjustable selection tool to GIMP. Once again I suggested it
a few weeks ago and the task was again "assigned" to me even I asked
a coder with who together I could have implemented the thing. Now
GIMP does not compile in my Linux which means automatic delay of
several months (more likely a year) before I have a change to get
new Linux distribution. The tool would be highly needed as GIMP does
not have a re-adjustable rectangular selection tool (it's currently
only "if it went wrong, start from beginning"). Like having audio
editor without re-adjustable selection tool.

I simply don't understand why capable GIMP developers cannot implement
the simple feature. There is no sense in that I should learn GIMP
internals -- I could use that time for developing my own projects
instead of wasting the time to sidetracks.

Regards,
Juhana