[linux-audio-dev] [RFC] Lite OSC API

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 08:33:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:37:09 +0100, torbenh at informatik.uni-bremen.de wrote:
> > I dont understand the question. Say pd wants to pass control data to a
> > copy of galan thats running, it needs to know what port (and less importantly
> > what address) the galan patch is using - that can either be done by the
> > patch using a known port number (assuming only one of them is running) or
> > by quering some service discovery service.
>
> well then i did not understand the purpose correctly.
>
> i thought that service discovery would also tell me the available
> controls.

I didnt explain it properly. It will tell you all the /services/, which may
include some of the controls, but not neccesarily all of them.

If you have a set of control under osc://localhost:7123/myService/, but clients
dont need to know the control names explicitly then you can just advertise

"myService" can be found at "osc://localhost:7123/myService/"

it may only be helpful to clients that know what myService is allready.
You could also register all the controls so it could maybe be used by a
generic osc client - assuming they dont change very often, but it may not
be neccesary or desirable.

I think I'm going to forget about service discovery for the time being,
its clearly not obvious why its helpful yet and I'm explaining it badly,
so lets not worry about it.

- Steve