[linux-audio-dev] [OT] Numbers, numbers, numbers...

Rohan Drape rd at alphalink.com.au
Wed Jan 28 02:05:39 UTC 2004

> that's interesting. elk-scheme says about this:
>
> > (exact? (* 0 440.0))
> #f
>
> guess something to be fixed, if #t is the R5RS answer...

Actually, R5RS says:

  An operation may, however, return an exact result if it can prove
  that the value of the result is unaffected by the inexactness of its
  arguments. For example, multiplication of any number by an exact
  zero may produce an exact zero result, even if the other argument is
  inexact.

In some environments this sort of thing can be a fast path.  This
actually is exactly what some people really do not like about R5RS.
Personally, the fact that both Stalin and mzscheme actually exist
suggests a curious sort of happiness...

Regards,
Rohan

This reminds me of pop music, "I'm no fucking Buddhist, but this is
enlightenment"... :?