[linux-audio-dev] ".mid" files playing in Linux games

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Wed Jan 28 21:29:04 UTC 2004

Dominic Genest wrote:

>Yes I am familiar with "mod" files which, more precisely, were born in the
>Amiga world. Generally speaking, they're best at techno songs.
>
>Mine are rather "piano only", classical-like, songs. Those usually sound
>better with midi sequencers.

timidity comes with a fairly decent set of samples. it might just work
if you popen(3) it, directing its output to stdout so you can mix it
into your application's sound. upon EOF, you can simply repeat from
popen().

iirc, SDL has some MIDI/music capabilities based on timidity, too. but
i don't really know for sure.

tim