[linux-audio-dev] Utility for recording audio track with midi clock

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Fri Jul 2 08:20:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 07:48:29AM +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:

> FWIW: My experience with external sequencers is that they'll output all
> notes due up to the most recently received time, which is also what is
> expected.

IF that is all that's required then sending MIDI clock from a 1000 Hz RTC
should work perfectly. The added jitter of +/- 0.5 ms is less than the time
it takes to transmit a 3-note chord (2.24 ms, with running status) from
a keyboard (assuming someone can play that accurately).

But iff the receiver wants to compensate for the transmission delay, it
will need to have some idea of the 'current speed'.

--
FA