[Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] snd-hdsp oddities

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Fri Jul 2 11:26:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:40:28 +0200
Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

> > When the dust settles from the kernel and NPTL, 2.6 will be more
> > viable. Right now, even though it works for some people, its not a
> > generally viable platform for realtime audio.
>
> Hmm, except for some sched policy setting problems on NPTL, I don't
> see bigger problem than 2.4+preempt kernel.  For some people,
> 2.4+preempt might work _casually_ better than 2.6, but it can happen
> vice versa.
>
> Shouting "DON'T USE 2.6" isn't a good solution.  Though, we need to
> inform to "set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL as a workaround"...

Yes, but i wonder: many other people use NPTL for many kinds of applications w/o problems.. The jack source code is too complex for me to really find my way through it, but maybe someone might consider summing up how jack handles threads and provide pointers into the source at the relevant spots.. Maybe NPTL isn't at fault, but jack..

Also, i think it would be very useful to have  simplified test case which shows the "erraneous" behaviour of jack/NPTL..

flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/wiki