[linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

Andrew Morton akpm at osdl.org
Tue Jul 13 00:06:49 UTC 2004

Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> >resierfs: yes, it's a problem.  I "fixed" it multiple times in 2.4, but the
> >fixes ended up breaking the fs in subtle ways and I eventually gave up.
>
> andrew, this is really helpful. should we conclude that until some
> announcement from reiser that they have addressed this, the reiserfs
> should be avoided on low latency systems?

It seems that way, yes.  I do not know how common the holdoffs are in real
life.  It would be interesting if there was a user report that switching
from reiserfs to ext2/ext3 actually made a difference - this would tell us
that it is indeed a real-world problem.

Note that this info because available because someone set
/proc/asound/*/*/xrun_debug.  We need more people doing that.