[linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Jul 13 01:01:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 20:06, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> >
> > >resierfs: yes, it's a problem.  I "fixed" it multiple times in 2.4, but the
> > >fixes ended up breaking the fs in subtle ways and I eventually gave up.
> >
> > andrew, this is really helpful. should we conclude that until some
> > announcement from reiser that they have addressed this, the reiserfs
> > should be avoided on low latency systems?
> >

> It seems that way, yes.  I do not know how common the holdoffs are in real
> life.  It would be interesting if there was a user report that switching
> from reiserfs to ext2/ext3 actually made a difference - this would tell us
> that it is indeed a real-world problem.

This was not a synthetic benchmark, I would consider this a 'real-world'
problem now.  Repeating the test with ext3 would just tell you whether
it has the same problem.

If it is neccesary to get the reiserfs issue addressed, I will repeat
the test with an ext3 system in the next few days,  I would like to hear
from reiser on this before doing much more.

> Note that this info because available because someone set
> /proc/asound/*/*/xrun_debug.  We need more people doing that.
> -

This goes back to the need for ALSA documentation.  Someone needs to
write some.  This will probably require paying that person.  Hopefully
SuSe is working on this, though I suspect I would have heard something.