[linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Jul 13 06:31:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 08:31:18PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 17:17, Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > There is an overwhelming consensus amongst Linux audio
> > folks that you should use reiserfs for low latency work.
>
> I doubt the "overwhelming consensus" part.

me too, but at some point in the 2.4 kernel cycle,
reiserfs came out much better than ext3 in some latency tests* that
were reported on linux-audio-dev and linux-audio-user lists.
This seems to have left many of us musicianly types with a vague
"reiser good, ext3 bad" mindset.

* i think it was this:
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/Arcana.html#Mark%20Knecht's%20filesystem%20tests

--