[linux-audio-dev] Re: desktop and multimedia as an afterthought?

Christian Henz chrhenz at gmx.de
Tue Jul 13 16:35:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:55:48AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Thus, the fact that Linux does not support protocols to prevent priority
> >inversion (please correct me if I am wrong) kind of suggests that supporting
> >realtime applications is not considered very important.
>
> we went through this (you and i in particular) right here on LAD a
> year or so ago. while i might agree with you about the priority given
> to RT-ish apps, my recollection of the end of that discussion is that
> priority inheritance is neither necessary nor sufficient to allow
> adequate RT performance. priority inversion generally can be factored
> out through application redesign, and the protocols i've seen to
> address it are not useful for RT purposes - they just help deadlock.

Hmm, I've just recently learned about the Priority Ceiling Protocol,
an extension to Priority Inversion Protocol, which explicitly prevents
deadlocks. And I've learned about both in a RTOS course, so I'm a little
surprised by your statement about them not being useful for RT purposes :-)

cheers,
Christian

--
"Somewhere in Texas... a village is missing its idiot."