[linux-audio-dev] initial announcement: softwerk 2.0.0

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jul 15 01:52:13 UTC 2004

As mentioned briefly, Dave Phillips innocently asked me about SoftWerk
while we were riding on the train from Paris to Bordeaux last week. I
thought "how hard could it be to get it working again?" and thereby
hangs a tale (and a tail).

To cut a short story shorter:

   http://linuxaudiosystems.com/softwerk/softwerk-2.0.0.tar.bz2

is an *initial* re-release of my "analog pattern MIDI sequencer". It
is modelled on the Doepfer Schaltwerk, a gorgeous beast of a machine,
except that SoftWerk can do everything the SchaltWerk can, and then
quite a bit more :)

To compile it, you will need (i think):

   gtk+ 1.2
   ALSA with sequencer support
   gcc/g++ < 3.4

This is a provisional release - I believe that this tarball will
ccompile and install and be usable by most people, but what I'd like is
for a few people to try it out before I update sourceforge and make
other announcements.

The documentation at softwerk.sf.net is still reasonably accurate,
except that mouse motion is no longer used for editing step values,
only typed numerical values or the arrow keys.

have fun,
--p