[linux-audio-dev] Modular Jack patchbay pseudo-release

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Tue Jul 27 14:26:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 10:25, Jan Weil wrote:
> I was asking because what I'd love to see is a Linux Audio control
> center where all aspects of an ALSA/Jack session can be controlled, i.
> e. it should/could provide
>
>  * an audio (== Jack) patchbay
>  * a MIDI patchbay
>  * a Jack controller
>  * support for LASH (fka LADCCA)
>  * a Jack mixer (JackMix) ?
>  * a LADSPA presets manager (im-/export) via liblrdf
>  * you name it
>
> I see more and more applications evolving which accomplish parts of
> these tasks.
> I'd like to see these efforts bundled.
>
> Yes, I know, neither Unix nor F/OSS works this way.

Everything seems like an okay idea to me except the mixer and "LADSPA
presets manager".

Integrating a mixer into a qjackctl-like program just doesn't make any
sense, and I don't know what a LADSPA presets manager would do in this
context.. manage presets for which app?

Anyway, the whole point of LASH is we don't need to smash apps together
in nasty ways like this.  Ubiquitous LASH support is what 'we' really
need, IMHO.

-DR-