[linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

Ingo Molnar mingo at elte.hu
Fri Jul 23 07:21:27 UTC 2004

* Nick Piggin <nickpiggin at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> You wouldn't need to do this to break out of interrupt context
> softirqs because you wouldn't bother returning to it. Just hand the
> work off to ksoftirqd.

this is plainly not the case. Look at eg. the net_tx_action() lock-break
i did in the -I1 patch. There we first create a private queue which we
work down. With my approach we can freely reschedule _within the loop_.
With your suggestion this is not possible.

i.e. executing a softirq in a process context gives us all the
advantages of a process context: all the local state is saved and
preserved until the preemption is done. These advantages are not there
for either immediate or idle-task-only-immediate type of softirq
processing.

	Ingo