[linux-audio-dev]Using python for small multimedia app ?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jun 3 15:45:42 UTC 2004

Hallo,
Cournapeau David hat gesagt: // Cournapeau David wrote:

> 	I am discovering python, having looked for a matlab-like
> 	environement. I am wondering now if it is possible to do some small
> multimedia applications with it; more precisely, I would like to develop a
> scientific application for audio/video analysis. Basically, I need to
> show an avi
> video with a synchronised waveform view of the sound, and some other
> features views, like the pitch of the film voices (the actual pitch
> detection doesn't need to be computed on the fly).

Ahem: Pure data, anyone? http://pure-data.iem.at

But I also would say, Python is fine for every application. Just start
coding, let noone stop you. Python is wonderful. Although your
application above would really profit from powerful libraries for
sound and video, which are included in Pd and which you might have to
write on your own with Python (at least write C-to-Python-bridges)

Ciao