[linux-audio-dev] timidity++ live

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Jun 4 14:49:33 UTC 2004

At Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:09:56 -0400,
Dave Phillips wrote:

> Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>
> >On fre, 2004-06-04 at 02:52, Dave Phillips wrote:
> >

> >>The effects settings reduce CPU consumption. Btw, TiMidity will start to
> >>hog the CPU after a while.
> >>

> >Any Idea why is this? I mean the CPU hogging ..
> >

> Not sure. Maybe Takashi knows ? Perhaps the problem is solved in more
> recent versions of TiMidity, I'll have to check out the latest &
> greatest (which now includes JACK support). I like using TiMidity as a
> lightweight softsynth, but that eventual CPU hogging is not good.

I'm not sure in which situation it hogs the CPU on Dave's system.
But, in general, it might be because of the sample interpolation.
The recent timidity uses an expensive method (gaussian).  When many
voices are used, it costs high CPU power.
Using a cheaper one like the linear interpolation (either -N0 or
-Efresamp=l) will help in such a case.

Takashi