[linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Joost Diepenmaat ladspa-list at hortus-mechanicus.net
Tue Jun 8 19:51:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 05:50:42PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> * First is, that usability has nothing to do with nice looks. I
> truely believe - and given some research time, I'm sure I could prove
> it as well - that photorealistic graphical user interfaces modelled
> after hardware when shown on a screen are far from usability.

I couldn't agree more. I like keyboard input (mostly computer keyboard,
not synth.) and I don't need and dont want "realistic" GUIs that
generally waste more space. I want clarity and fast editing.

As an example of a quite popular application on the windows world that
usually keeps away from photorealistic GUIs for plugins, take a look at
Buzz - http://www.buzzmachines.com/ has about 800 plugins, increasing
with a couple a month - and buzz itself hasn't been updated in ages.

> * and then I'd like to add, that usabilty in the Linux world comes
> from customizabilty, which is mostly absent in the Windows world. The
> Unix philosphy is built upon small (or specific) tools that can be
> combined in various, *custom* ways and that can be used to let the
> computer appear in a way, the user wants, not the other way around.

There is just one problem with this approach; that once you have
seperate apps for different parts of your composition, it's usually a
lot more hassle to set up than a big giant app when you want to work
on it again. I vaguely remember a discussion on this list about an
application or library that was supposed to take care of this issue,
but I can't find it. Does anyone have any pointers?

Cheers,

Joost.