[linux-audio-dev] Re: UI stuff

Ben ben at glw.com
Tue Jun 8 21:50:40 UTC 2004

> 	Yes, it's definitely easier to see the position of a knob
> (usually).
> The parametric sliders in the JAMin HDEQ are a result of my not
> wanting
> to use knobs.  I think there are probably other ways to replace them
> as
> well.
>
> Jan

As a rule of thumb, if the parameters are related to each other (i.e.
channel level controls) then it is clearer to use sliders because the
user can compare the relative levels.  If the faders are NOT
correlated, then I find it misleading to have them arrayed next to each
other.

Knobs work pretty well in the "uncorrelated" case because your eye
doesn't even try to decipher the relative values.  My biggest beef with
knobs is the variety of ways the mouse movement is implemented.  Most
software gives you no clue ... vertically? horizontally? radially? ...
and Murphy's law says your first 2 guesses will be wrong.  The app
"Soundplay" for BeOS takes a novel approach ... the level is shown as a
knob but when you grab it, a rectangular box appears behind the knob
and you adust it like a fader.  This is great because it gives you
visual feedback of which direction(s) to move the knob.

-Ben Loftis