[linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 09:10:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:12:07 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Marek Peteraj hat gesagt: // Marek Peteraj wrote:
>
> > Second thing is that the way you percieve them shouldn't change as you
> > switch applications. Which is what VST perfectly fulfills - it provides
> > its own UI.
>
> True somehow but then also not: If I don't like a UI I'd like to be
> able to change it. That's something valueable that VST doesn't allow
> you to do - or makes it harder. Usablity also has to do with what
> people ae used to. I think, Emacs is not useable, Emacs users think,
> Vim is not. But actually both are useable, just not if you're used to
> something else.

FWIW the DSSI UI protocol allows this. I wouldn't really consider a
hardcoded UI system sane if it didn't allow users to replace the UI.

The UI is just an executable on disk that is run when the host wants the
open hte UI for the first time - it could eg. be a scrit that spawns Pd and
then uses a Pdpatch to control the host via OS ;)

- Steve