[linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 09:24:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 11:04:09 +0200, Pelle Nilsson wrote:
> If I have 100 LADSPA plug-ins installed and 3 LADSPA hosts, I'd rather
> spend my time learning the guis of the 3 host-applications than
> learning the different guis of 100 plug-ins. That a plug-in then has
> three different interfaces depending on in which application I use it
> isn't a problem. Also it looks a lot better (imho) when everything in
> an application looks exactly the same. Letting plug-ins decide too
> much about how they should be rendered is a bad thing. A little more
> control than today could be useful at times though.

Of those 100 plugins I image that only a about 10 or so would want / need
/ justify a custom UI.

...though that does sound worryingly like dangerously inaccurate early
computing predictions. "I predict that within 100 years, computers will
be twice as powerful, 10,000 times larger, and so expensive that only the
five richest kings of Europe will own them" -- Professor John Frink.

- Steve