[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Wed Jun 9 22:26:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 13:17, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 21:11, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > What linux audio offers is
> > technology. No comfort at all. Right now it's all just academic
> > software.
>
> This, and the lack of marketing departments is exactly why I am here.
>
> I don't want to see linux apps turning into slickly hyped lifestyle
> products like the rest of the music software business. We should push
> the advantages we have,

What advantages? Free as in beer?

>  rather than follow the path of steinberg etc...

But you guys *are* following proprietary software in general. Ardour is
a DAW just like cubase is, while SSM resembles reaktor in its
philosophy. LADSPAs are plugins like VSTs are, etc etc etc. There's
nothing which is perfectly original.

I've never seen such inapt community btw, which is totally ignorant in
organizing itself. See the gnome community which started to exist the
same year. They have more conferences per year, one of them being
huge(guadec) with sponsors, larger companies involved, and *most* of
*all* they're a centralised community.

What we have is tons of links and no information. Although there are
some very good standards which could be successful even in another
domain(e.g. jack), nobody cares to promote them.

Lots of LADders even think that this mailing list isn't really
important. Nobody cares that it actually represents a pretty central
meeting point for developers interested in linux audio, and a perfect
knowledgebase.

We also have an organisation, which isn't really an organisation since
it's not a legal entity, and about 2/3rds of all don't seem to even
participate. And that organisation seems to have different goals than
promoting and protecting linux audio in *general*, *whether* pro or not,
i.e. the linux audio community.

Centralising information and provoding easy access is a pretty good way
to promote linux audio so that it reaches more developers and users, you
don't need marketing hype for that. No matter if it concerns linux audio
in general or ladspa plugins.

The gnome community already provides that, the kde community aswell.
Heck, there's even a linuxprinting.org community. Do i need to say more?

> Personally speaking, as a free software developer I don't care if my
> programs are deemed as sucessful, they work for me, and handful of other
> people - this makes me happy :)

I'd like to see what other developers of the most popular linux audio
projects think. Because if they share your opinion, i'd rather save some
bucks and buy myself a mac.
Linux audio is perfectly unusable for me. Currently.

Marek