[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Jun 9 21:56:59 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 22:38, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> With the recent talk about plugin guis and stuff I think
> it's well fitting to present a knob design experiment I
> created for a LDrum redesign.
> SVG vector graphics (prefered by Peter and me)
> http://wrstud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/forum/04-05-02_knobs_02.png
> 3d rendering variatios
> http://wrstud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/forum/04-05-02_knob_3d_1-2-3.jpg

I really like them! Wish we had these for KDE/artskdegui...

> And generaly about knobs:
> If you ask me, radial is the only right way of mouse control for
> knobs. Gives the special advantage that you can have large value
> changes with small pointer movement close to the knob, or more
> precision if you move the pointer away.
> Not to forget that a knob says 'turn me'. Requiring linear
> movement then means telling one thing while meaning something
> else (bad communication practice).

Okay, rotation is the definitive nearest association, but please don't forget
the mousewheel for those that have one! That is imho much faster if you want
quick changes...

Still the question is: What toolkit to use for a
standard-LAD-Gui-elements-set? Or just define the graphics and the handling
and then let everyone implement it in his/her preferred toolkit? The last
would be my suggestion, and maybe I am volunteering to create on for Qt...

Arnold
--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de
---