[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Thu Jun 10 01:19:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 00:56, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 16:11, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > What you guys blatantly underestimate is that in order to bring your
> > apps to users (= having success, sorry ;) it doesn't suffice if you're a
> > developer. You have to be a good manager, have a goal that you'd like to
> > reach(other than fooling around with code, if that's the case, ignore
> > this email).And that a really good and successful app has got both -
> > comfort and the underlying technology. What linux audio offers is
> > technology. No comfort at all. Right now it's all just academic
> > software.
> >
> > <rant over>
> >
> > Marek
>
> I don't think I could possibly care less who uses 'linux audio'.  I
> don't really think anyone else here should either - we should be aiming
> to build the best system possible, period.  Not saying "look!  popular
> software the people pay money for does this;  therefore we must too!"
>
> If anything, we should be looking at the proprietary music software
> world to make sure we avoid repeating their mistakes (ridiculous
> duplication of effort, lock-in, and horrid UIs for example), not
> duplicating them just because.  (Not to say we can't take positive
> things from that world too though)

Exactly!

Note that there are many things that we should learn from though. It's
because most things are driven by market demand i.e. users. So the sw
companies *had* to respect it in order to sell thier product.

Sure they don't have Jack - but see the reason - being proprietary is
there barrier they could not bridge.

Open standards are very strong players! To not promote them is suicide.

Marek