[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Wed Jun 9 23:40:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 18:26, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> I've never seen such inapt community btw, which is totally ignorant in
> organizing itself. See the gnome community which started to exist the
> same year. They have more conferences per year, one of them being
> huge(guadec) with sponsors, larger companies involved, and *most* of
> *all* they're a centralised community.
>
> What we have is tons of links and no information. Although there are
> some very good standards which could be successful even in another
> domain(e.g. jack), nobody cares to promote them.
>
> Lots of LADders even think that this mailing list isn't really
> important. Nobody cares that it actually represents a pretty central
> meeting point for developers interested in linux audio, and a perfect
> knowledgebase.
>
> We also have an organisation, which isn't really an organisation since
> it's not a legal entity, and about 2/3rds of all don't seem to even
> participate. And that organisation seems to have different goals than
> promoting and protecting linux audio in *general*, *whether* pro or not,
> i.e. the linux audio community.
>
> Centralising information and provoding easy access is a pretty good way
> to promote linux audio so that it reaches more developers and users, you
> don't need marketing hype for that. No matter if it concerns linux audio
> in general or ladspa plugins.

What exactly is preventing you (yes, YOU, Marek Peteraj) from "promoting
linux audio in *general*" etc. etc.?  Not much that I can see.  I don't
want to speak on behalf of anyone here; but I'm sure there are plenty of
people here who DON'T CARE.  ie me.  I don't care if every idiot who'se
ever bought an Electronic Musician magazine uses LAD software.  I don't
want to waste my time letting them know about it.  You do?  Fantastic,
then shut up and do it already.

All the other super communities you love that are so much better than
LAD can have their conferences, sponsors, "larger companies", "legal
identities" and whatever other stupid MBA-speak you've come up with.  I
just kinda like hacking FOSS audio stuff, whether or not it jives with
your plan for world domination or not.

> > Personally speaking, as a free software developer I don't care if my
> > programs are deemed as sucessful, they work for me, and handful of other
> > people - this makes me happy :)
>
> I'd like to see what other developers of the most popular linux audio
> projects think. Because if they share your opinion, i'd rather save some
> bucks and buy myself a mac.
> Linux audio is perfectly unusable for me. Currently.
>
> Marek

I would like to personally apologize for not dedicating my free time to
making you happy.  This is the linux audio DEVELOPERS list, and it's
just that, a mailing list for developers.  Just a bunch of people with a
common interest.

Want the easy route out?  Want to just go buy a Mac and get some spiffy
music making programs and be on your way?  Then do it!  Oh so sorry the
free ride didn't work out for you, better luck next time.  If you want a
plug-in-and-drool computer, you're not running the right OS.

Suggestions are good, ideas are good, discussion is good.  Bitching and
moaning that "Linux audio is perfectly unusable for me", and implying
that somehow everyone on this list needs to make it their goal in life
to spend all their _free time_ making a bunch of nameless random idiots
happy is not good.  Especially when you don't make a single valid
suggestion while doing so.

(My apoligies to all for the ESR style 'self appointed voice of the
community' crap...)

-DR- (Who debated hitting "send" on this one for a good 5 minutes)