[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Wed Jun 9 23:55:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 01:11:43AM +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> from SuSE 8.2 to 9.0. In the new distro, most of the Gnome apps that
> I loved before suddenly seemed to be dumbed down to the point I really
> started to dislike them, and I just removed them form my system.

Agree completely.  It gets dumber and dumber.  Options I *like* and *use*
disappear in each release.  Meanwhile dumb stuff appears and I can't
figure out how to do simplish things.

I'm using KDE now for about a week, and I can't say I like it THAT much
better.

Sigh.  XP may have it's problems, but the UI is fast, the file browser
works 99.99% of the time, and stuff just works.

I know Linux people love to claim how choice is our strength, but I think
it's bunk.  Linux needs a single GUI environment that has a lot of deep
flexibility (and I don't mean Scheme config files :) and a single widget
kit, bound to all the languages.

A freshly installed linux box is a horrible mess, these days.  Hundreds of
megs of disk spent on crap that the vast majority of people don't even
know is there.