[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Thu Jun 10 00:39:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 19:16, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:38:49PM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> > If you ask me, radial is the only right way of mouse control for
>
> I have to disagree.  Sometimes I close my eyes to ensure that I am only
> using my ears to make adjustments, and a radial knob just SUCKS at that.
> IMHO< the right way is left or down = decrease, up or right = increase.
> In fact, I am not convinced left/right should even factor.
>
> Tim

But then you either have to click and drag up, click and drag up, click
and drag up and so on because the motion is too slow, or you can't make
fine adjustments.  Unless someone can think of something clever that
hasn't been though of before, you can't have both with faders.

Or maybe we should just pick a hotkey and make it switch between the two
modes, then everyone's happy.  We just have to pick the default. :)

-DR-