[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Thu Jun 10 01:03:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:39:36PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > How about velocity sensitive knobs like OhmForce plugs use.  Uggh.

> I think radial adjustment is the clearest, most obvious way for a knob
> to move.. it is a knob after all.  A newbie sitting down at the machine
> isn't going to try to drag it vertically, they're going to try to "turn"

Actually, I think vertical is most obvious, based on my watching people.
Radial is confusing to people.  Popping up a little vertical meter also
helps indicate that the control moves up and down.

> Of course, this is leaving out linear coarse adjustment, but can we
> really come up with a way of having all of them?  Yet another hotkey :/

A global option is the only way to make everyone happy.

> I really do think radial should be the left-button default though, it's
> just what a knob visually suggest it should do.  If linear should be the
> default, the widget itself should be a fader IMHO.  Think of the poor
> newbs! :)

Watch the poor newbs!  I'd accept the results of a real usability test.
Get 25 people who have no music software experience or very little, and
give them a set of tasks with two UIs.  Ask for results, and watch the
confusion.  I'd live with it (though I'll hack in linear control on my own
box, if I lose the bet :)

Tim