[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 06:27:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:41:10 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> If you can't code, and can't help out in more concrete ways (testing and
> documentation etc.), but still want to help, by all means go out there
> and promote, organize, help out in other ways, that's great.  But don't
> expect developers to give a crap.  It's a good thing they don't or
> nothing would actually get coded at all.

Marek has provided valuable input to several projects. And I dont think
that not being a coder means you shouldn't have an opinion. I think the
free software world tends to glorify hackers sometimes. Just cos we
occasionaly plonk out butts down and scrabble away on a keyboard for a
couple of hours doesn't mean we should be treated like royalty.

There are plently of people in this community who have put in as much
effort as most coders.

> If John Q. Hacker cared about PR, he wouldn't be that much of a hacker
> would he? :)

Heh. Lazyness, Imapatience and Hubris.

> Heck, I write programs I don't even release because I'm too lazy (ie
> this: http://chat.carleton.ca/~drobilla/patchbay.png).. PR isn't even on
> the radar screen.

Yeah, where is that whizzy patchbay, I've been waiting a while now ;)

- Steve