[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Thu Jun 10 09:33:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:57:09AM +0200, Uwe Koloska wrote:

> But there comes another handling problem:
> some people have opted for linear movement (I too think radial
> movement is intuitive but mostly unusable -- normal mouse movement
> is linear) but then I think we need both directions:
> - up/down for something like gain
> - left/right for something like pan
> and this only works with an additional linear display in the right
> direction
>
> What do you think?

One solution is to make it depend on the place you hit it, and
define the effect of a mouse movement as the projection onto the
tangent at that point.

So for example if you click on the bottom, moving left will rotate
clockwise, if you clock on the left side, moving up will do the same.
Top and right would to the inverse.

--
FA