[linux-audio-dev] Re: UI stuff

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Thu Jun 10 14:58:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 03:19:44PM +0100, Mike Rawes wrote:
>  --- torbenh at gmx.de wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 07:02:30PM +0100, Mike Rawes wrote:

> > > Rotary movement? The advantage of this is finer granularity if you
> > > increase the radius.
> >
> > i think thats what the right click does.
>
> You're right, of course - my brain must have obfuscated 'knob points to mouse'!
> There's always 'distance from centre of knob to mouse' :)

:) really unobvious behaviour :)

> FWIW, I personally don't believe it matters much which method is used - it
> takes just one or two seconds to determine the behaviour for a particular app.
>
> The problem with a knob is, unlike a slider, their behaviour only really works
> in physical form (they fit snugly between thumb and finger), and doesn't
> translate well to the screen+mouse - it has to be 'fudged' somehow, hence the
> variety of behaviours in apps.

well... i think we can see from this discussion, that the behaviour of
the knob must be configurable.

lets make the whole behaviour configurable via .knobrc
Create .knobrc with a tool showing you several knobs which behave
differently and you can try out which one you like most.

or define your own knob profile.....

there just CANT be the BEST knob.
we need to write a knob widget for every toolkit obeying .knobrc

solves behaviour discussion,
solves eye-candy or not discussion.

please concentrate your discussion on knob behaviour without .knobrc
feeling wont be as strong on this issue.

try to identify WHAT needs to configured.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language