[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Thu Jun 10 16:25:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 07:28, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> There is chasm both broad and deep between
> >>
> >>       "plugin, show your GUI now"
> >>
> >> and an actual implementation of such functionality.
> >
> >Yeah osc.udp://localhost:2134/ui/show ;) I'm very much in favour of
> >simple, UNDERcomplicated solutions. If you make its easy to do almost
> >everything and possible to do hard things I think you get the best
> >protocol / API / design.
>
> for DSSI, this seems great. but for LADSPA it seems like a major
> change in philosophy, one that would turn LADSPA into DSSI. i am not
> opposed to that, in fact i think its a fairly good idea, but i think
> we need to be clear about that if that is in fact the general idea.
>
> >Its out of process. Sounds like torben wants to swallow the plugin UI,
> >thats kinda neat, didn't think anyone would bother, but we should take
> >that into account.
>
> yeah, returning an XID sounds like a nice touch there.
>
> btw, i guess we should get busy with LADSPA v2 soon, eh?
>
> --p

That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask (after actually
reading the DSSI RFC)

Is there anything really soft synth specific about DSSI?  Should it be
DAPI (disposable audio plugin interface).

I was thinking about implementing a complicated delay (kinda like
tapiir) in DSSI and realised it's a bit of a contradiction.

Steve?

-DR-