[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Thu Jun 10 16:49:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:22:55PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> >     That was exactly Dave's point.  Marek wants some kind of "we" thing going on.
> >  He wants us all to march off in solidarity in the direction he chooses and it
> > just doesn't work that way.  You want to make money, I don't care, Dave doesn't
> > care, Paul wants to make money...  There is no single correct direction here.
> >

> > Jan
>
> Thank you Jan, you've summarized my admittedly flammable rant quite
> nicely. :)
>
> I think LAD is just great the way it is:  a bunch of people hacking on
> linux audio software, doing whatever interests them.  Make money, don't,
> contribute to existing projects, code your own weird little apps noone
> could possile use but you, advocate, never talk to anyone, whatever.
>
> In short, do whatever pleases ya.

Of course, do whatever pleases ya, nobody is really saying otherwise,
despite what it might sound like.
I think the phrase "march off in solidarity in the direction he chooses"
is maybe a little unfair. I for one am willing to give him some
leaway. His fishing expedition was reasonable successful, i would
say, in that he now has a broad range of opinions within which he
can come up with a more concrete generally acceptable proposal.

These disussions always hilight the differences, but lets use this
to take note of what we have in common, and make _use_ of the extremely
varied backgrounds and usage expectations here, to further one aim that
i would hope that we could all agree on:

"we want/need better software tools"

Marek obviously has some interests/skills that most hardcore programmers
dont have, so if he comes up with a plan that furthers the above aim, i for
one will assist in it.

--
Tim Orford