[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Jun 10 17:12:46 UTC 2004

Marek Peteraj:

> > Personally speaking, as a free software developer I don't care if my
> > programs are deemed as sucessful, they work for me, and handful of other
> > people - this makes me happy :)
> I'd like to see what other developers of the most popular linux audio
> projects think. Because if they share your opinion, i'd rather save some
> bucks and buy myself a mac.
> Linux audio is perfectly unusable for me. Currently.

I do this because I like to do cool things I beleive no one has ever done
before. And I like unix and I love fvwm, emacs, bash, guile, etc..
I also have access to all the sources in the operating system,
all the drivers I use (except for the nvidia driver :((( ), all the
libraries, all the applications, the sources are available for everything.
I have full control. This makes it theoretical possible to make the
ultimate sound system. :) If I did this because I wanted to be a
superstar or something, I would have written for windows or mac, not
AmigaOS (not that much anymore) and linux which is the case now.
And no, linux audio is definitely not perfectly unusable for me.
Quite the contrary; pd, supercollider, snd, ladspa, alsa, jack and the
very low-latish kernel make it to be a very usable platform for creative
work you can't do in other OS's.