[linux-audio-dev] Sliders

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jun 10 18:25:24 UTC 2004

>> The discussion about linear or radial mouse movement for
>> knobs finaly got me to mockup an idea i had in my mind
>> for sometime already.
>>
>> For now I call it fan sliders:
>> http://wrstud.urz.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/forum/04-06-10_fan_slider_01.png

 [ ... ]

>I think that's a really good idea.. the 'base' slider could be really
>small (ie the size of a knob), but the movement would be linear, and
>with variable precision.. and it seems like it would be immediately
>obvious how to use the thing.
>
>It'd be a pain to implement though.  Can Gtk/Qt even do stuff like this?

Its not really the same as Thorsten's idea, but in ardour when you
grab a control point in an automation track, we draw a big text cursor
showing the value of the current position. I guess i am just pointing
out that when using a canvas-style widget, more or less anything is
possible. with ordinary widgets, its much harder.

--p